Tuesday, December 8, 2009
For years I created ArtDolls-costumed sculptures. They were in Shows & Exhibitions from New York to San Francisco and New Orleans. They sold really well & were lots of fun to create, but they were also really labor intensive. To create them, I sculpt the head, hands & feet in polyresin clays. Then I paint them in multiple layers of acrylic paints. Next I form a wire armature for the body and attach it to a wooden base with a dowel. I sew a shell for the body, then stuff it with lots of polyfill to make the body very solid. Then comes the fun! I have a massive collection of antique, vintage & contemporary fabrics and trims. I search through boxes & bags for just the perfect combinations. The finished sculpture is more like an assemblage.When my paintings started selling well, I cut back on the ArtDolls. The paintings were so much easier to ship & took so much less time to complete. Now that my work has gone into print and the sales are going well, I've started working on the ArtDolls again. These Santas are the first to be completed. I've already sold Two!